Research and Development Director – Applications now open
Hours: Permanent, Full time
Location: Islington, London
Salary: £up to £120,000 per annum depending on experience
Our clients are a growing, ambitious, passionate high growth start-up. led by their mission to revolutionise cat health by applying scientific discovery to the freshest ingredients and customised portioning in search of the perfect cat food.
As the Director of R&D, you would oversee an expansive portfolio across nutrition, scientific data, sensory and food science, and innovation strategy. Technical competency in one core R&D discipline is expected, with a strong ability and willingness to aggressively support scientific discovery outside of core expertise.
The successful Director is an accomplished project coordinator who can channel the capabilities of an enthusiastic and aligned team with the ability to move quickly and adapt to the latest data-driven findings. Collaboration across teams is paramount to the health of our clients’ future, and the Director is incentivised to create mission alignment internally as it relates to novel product conception, product testing, and development of a comprehensive health platform.
You will be responsible for :
- Generating and delivering strategic initiatives to achieve comprehensive business goals with the input and close coordination of the executive team and external scientific advisors.
- Collaborations with outside scientific discovery facilities
- Enhancing clients’ long-range internal capabilities and competencies.
- Develop and execute on short- and long-range research and development planning with the input of internal and external stakeholders
- Enhance the scientific and data-driven credibility of our clients Brand and products by working with team members to provide validation of current and future products, with particular areas of emphasis on nutritional formulation and food science / palatability
- Recruit and retain a diverse and motivated team of scientists, particularly with respect to core nutrition (formulation) and palatability science
- Meet clear budget targets and deliver project endpoints in a timely manner to align with the company’s ambitious growth goals
- Provide the scientific voice of the company and liaise with customer service, retention, operations, and growth to align messaging and product strategy / execution
- Manage the comprehensive project portfolio timelines and provide guidance to the specialized teams within the R&D department
Ideal candidates will have:
- 3+ years of scientific management within industry (human or veterinary health/nutrition) or in an allied academic environment
- Master’s degree or higher in related field (food science, nutrition, animal science, veterinary medicine, microbiology)
- A track record of managing complicated scientific discovery and business projects with financial competency and the ability to manage a budget
- An ability to use data-driven approaches to guide key business decisions
- Proven collaboration across teams of internal experts and scientific consultants
- Experience in short-term and long-range research and development
- Experience with fast-paced discovery, ideally in a start-up environment
- Track record of excellent scientific communication with strong English proficiency
What we offer:
- Competitive Salary and a MacBook
- Career-defining opportunity in being instrumental to scaling our brand, fast
- Meaningful equity in a fast growing, early-stage business
- No egos and a small, close-knit team
- Monthly team socials
- 25 days of holiday every year plus your birthday off
- 4 weeks WFA (work from anywhere) policy
- 1-2 days WFH every week
- 12-weeks paternity / maternity leave
- Discount on our range of fresh Pet meals
- Comprehensive AXA health insurance including optical and dental
- Yearly personal development budget
- Company pension
- Office perks such as: fresh fruit, soft drinks and all the tea and coffee you can drink, weekly pastries, great banter and a cat (and dog) friendly office
Interested or know someone? Be 1st … Apply now!