Job Type: Senior Laboratory Scientist – Clinical Microbiology
Salary: £24000 – £30000 DOE plus 31 days holiday, life assurance and excellent pension scheme
Hours: 40 hours pw.
Location: Lancashire, UK
Job ref: 7922
Here at VF Recruitment, we are working with our clients, an independent veterinary diagnostic laboratory, dedicated to the improvement of animal health through direct support of veterinary practices in the UK and worldwide. They have been delivering service for over 30 years, and we are helping them to find their next hire!
You, Senior Laboratory Scientist – Clinical Microbiology, will:
- Office duties: accurately booking submissions in; linking requests; handling calls from/to clients, colleagues, other laboratories, veterinary and nursing staff; preparing completed documentation/samples for those referred to other laboratories.
- Lab duties: Plate reading and identification of bacteria; routine culture and sensitivity testing; dermatophyte culture and microscopic examination for mites/ringworm; faeces examination, including culture, worm egg count and microscopy; urine microscopy and biochemical analysis; antibiotic sensitivity testing and further microbiological tests as required.
- Operation of Instruments and interpretation of results.
- Check and release results to clients.
- Ensure equipment they are using or responsible for is safe for use, appropriately maintained and any required daily monitoring records are accurate and up to date.
- Monitors the stocks of media and consumables that they use and their correct storage, as required.
- In general, responsibility for delivering assigned areas of work, liaising with the Section Head and colleagues as necessary, but working as integral part of the laboratory team to execute the efficient operation of the laboratory.
- Help to train junior members of staff in laboratory processes.
- ‘A’ Level Sciences minimum.
- Excellent working knowledge of microbiology techniques and equipment used in a microbiology lab
- The ability to work independently and be able to quickly get up to speed in a veterinary environment
- Demonstrates a good understanding of the important elements of laboratory diagnostic testing
- Be able to follow standard operating procedures and work to quality standards.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, written and verbal.
- Strong organisational skills
- Computer literate
- Highly customer focused
- Highly motivated, questions established practices, raises ideas for improvements and a team player
- 33 days paid holiday (including bank holidays)
- Extra holidays for long service
- Life assurance benefit
- Cycle to work scheme
- Free on-site parking
Interested? Be 1st … Apply now!
Supporting Cotswold Riding for Disabled Association (RDA).
Please Note: When it come to your privacy, at VF Recruitment – we take it seriously.
All you need to know is that when you apply, we will process your details with the utmost care, we pass on your application for the clients review for the vacancy you have applied for only. We may contact you via telephone/text/email in regards to the vacancy, but your data is held and processed in accordance of your application for the vacancy, in terms of recruitment fulfilment.
If you have any pre-application questions, please contact us first, just let us know the job reference (9722).
Thanks, and good luck, VF Recruitment.